Monday, February 1, 2010

The Lifter of Our Hearts

And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure -1 John 3:3

This scripture is one of three that have brought me much comfort and perspective since I have been back home and trying to process through my experience in Uganda। I am not exactly sure why I have clung to this scripture like a lifeline the past couple of weeks, but there is certainly a great Truth to behold tucked within these words। Jesus Christ is my sure and steadfast hope, he never disappoints and his character is never changing. I think that after seeing an epidemic of hopelessness and corruption, this verse reminds me that we can be more than conquers, we just need to place our hope in him. He is the remedy. Within this scripture is the answer, the remedy to both corruption and hopelessness: hope in him, for he is the definition of purity. When everything else in life is dark and ugly, when chaos surrounds and filth clings…there is hope. By placing our hope completely in him, we too are made pure, we too can find freedom from the miry pit of hopelessness, we too can be made whole and clean.
The enemy would like nothing more than to see backs bent under the weight of oppression and heads hung low in defeat, but we have a choice…we must choose hope.
Can you feel Christ’s gentle hand lifting your face toward heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment